Thursday, September 9, 2010

Alphabe-Thursday-Rainbow Summer School

 This week is the final week of Rainbow summer school and then we start back with the alphabet. Please check out all the lovely VIOLET posts over at Jenny Matlock's Place

I have always wondered why Purple- VIOLET is a Halloween color.
So I did some research.

Black and Orange are the traditional colors. PURPLE- VIOLET is also a color seen on Halloween.
Halloween
"COLOR ASSOCIATIONS” (Color Symbolism)

Black -- death, night, witches, black cats, bats, vampires
Orange -- pumpkins, jack o' lanterns, Autumn
Purple -- night, the supernatural, mysticism
Green -- goblins, monsters
Red -- blood, evil




"Black and orange are the traditional colors of Halloween. In modern Halloween images and products, purple- VIOLET, green, and red are also prominent."

 

"The use of these colors is largely a result of advertising for the holiday that dates back for over a century. They tend to be associated with various parts of Halloween's imagery."

 


 so again:

Black -- death, night, witches, black cats, bats, vampires
Orange -- pumpkins, jack o' lanterns, Autumn
Purple -- night, the supernatural, mysticism
Green -- goblins, monsters
Red -- blood, evil
  
 
"I have not yet found any supporting evidence on how these colors came to symbolize the above. We must note, however, that red, orange, brown, and yellow have typically been associated with Autumn in many areas because the leaves on trees change to those colors."

 This info found at  FunTrivia

Hope you enjoyed my slight dabble into VIOLET.

10 comments:

Lourie said...

I have always wondered about the purple too. It totally makes sense. Some of those pictures were super creeepy! hahaha.

Splendid Little Stars said...

There are also a lot of purple/lavender flowers blooming at this time of year.

Teresa said...

Very interesting. I love the purple mask, the first picture.

DVArtist said...

Hi Susan this is a great post. Love all the pictures and the colors. Hope you have been well.
Nicole/Beadwright

signed...bkm said...

Love it I learned alot of new things about violet and about Halloween...thank you ...bkm

Kat said...

What an interesting violet post Susan. I always wondered why I saw so much purple in Halloween decorations. Come to think of it, my Halloween scrub top has a purple background! Thanks for your sweet comments on my Green post. The church, bamboo garden and car were all shot using the HDR process - they are my husbands. It's a bit complicated, you take several exposures (anywhere from 3 to 10) then merge them in a software program. You can adjust the softness etc to get that "painted" look. The light painted farmhouse was done by slowly washing the front of the subject with a flashlight - we used a green filter. Then processed similar to HDR - that shot was taken at almost full dark. The others are mine, straight out of the camera, no monkey business :)

Unknown said...

I have not given purple as a Halloween colour that much thought, but your reasoning seems sound.
Another explanation could simple be that purple is a compliment colour to all of those yellow-oranges you have with pumpkins.

Wonderful post!
I love thinking about and working with colour!

Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's Rainbow Violet

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

that's strong and powerful violet colors.

jeff campbell said...

I love what you did with violet...and did not know that it is a color often associated with Halloween...Peace and blessings

Jenny said...

I am soooo bad with scary things and some of these photos...

But I'll quit being a scaredy cat long enough to tell you I learned a lot on this post!

It was an interesting stop on our little journey through Rainbow Summer School.

Thank you for linking.

Now can you please go check under my bed and in my closet for me?

A+